An entire day before Greeopois0n is supposed to be released, geohot has publicly released limera1n. Limera1n will jailbreak iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G on firmware 4.0-4.1.
Limera1n is completely untethered on all of these devices. This means that you don't need to run limera1n everytime you restart your device.
Update: Limera1n now supports Windows and Mac.
How to Jailbreak
- Make sure you're on any 4.x.x firmware by going into Settings, General, About, and then Version.
- Download and open limera1n RC1b4
Windows - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VLXEIVYF
Mac - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HKDIAZ69
- Plug in your device into your computer. Double click on Limera1n, click Run (if you get the option).
- Press Make it ra1n on your computer.
- Wait until the limera1n logo comes up. If you don't get the image, just restart your device, close limera1n, and repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Once your device reboots (you may need to hold down the power button to turn it on), you should see a limera1n icon on your homescreen, tap on it. If you don't see limera1n, restart your device.
- Make sure you're connected to the internet, select Cydia, and tap on install. Restart your device if you don't see Cydia come up.
- Limera1n will now download and install Cydia, once it's done, Cydia will be on your homescreen.