The iPhone Dev Team has released a jailbreak for iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G for use on Windows or Mac.
This jailbreak will add multitasking, homescreen wallpaper, and battery percentages which is not currently allowed by Apple on to these devices.
|Devices Supported: iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2nd Gen|
Computer OS Supported: Windows and Mac
Firmware Supported: 4.0
Necessary Downloads: redsn0w 0.9.5b5 for Windows or redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 OS X, iPhone 3G 4.0 Firmware or iPod touch 2G Firmware
1. Turn off your device and plug it into your computer. Open redsn0w and click the Browse button.
2. Select your firmware file (see downloads above) and click Open.
3. Click Next. Redsn0w will do some processes. Now you will be able to choose options for your jailbreak.
If you don't know what the extra options mean, keep them at the default settings.
Once you're done, click Next. Click Next Again.
4. Now follow the on-screen directions to enter DFU mode: First hold down the Power button for three seconds. Now, while still holding down the Power button, press the Home button for 10 seconds. Now let go to the power button, keep holding the Home button for 30 seconds.
5. Now redsn0w will complete its processes.
Once it's done, click the Finish button and you are now jailbroken!