The Dev Team has released Red Sn0w today. This program that allows you to jailbreak iPod Touch 2nd Gen. This is another amazing milestone to the iPod Touch community. Be aware that this is the tethered, you can get the better and untethered version here.
The instructions for Redsn0w below only woks on Mac, click here for a Windows method. The directions are posted on the official site and are as follows:
We have tried it but, it does take some patience and some technical know-how.Preparation
1) Copy the FirmwareBundles and CustomPackages directories into
your PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources directory
2) Create a custom 2.2.1 ipsw with PwnageTool in Advanced mode.
Don't enable custom boot logos.
3) From your custom 2.2.1 ipsw, extract these (patched)
files:iBSS.n72ap.RELEASE.dfu (name it iBSS221pwn.dfu)
iBoot.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 (name it iBoot221pwn.img3)
4) From the official 2.1.1 ipsw, extract this (unpatched) file:
iBSS.n72ap.RELEASE.dfu (name it iBSS211.dfu)
Installing the jailbroken custom ipsw
5) Put your ipt2g into DFU mode using keypresses.
Don't have iTunes running!
6) Start rslite. Send the official iBSS from
7) Start rslite again. Send the redsn0w-lite
8) Send the patched iBSS from 2.2.1:!iBSS221pwn.dfu
9) Use iTunes to do a full restore using your custom 2.2.1 ipsw
After the install, your ipt2g will not be bootable without assistance
from a tethered computer. The method in this README.txt requires you
to go into DFU mode, but you should be able to find (or work out on
your own) other more convenient ways.
10) Repeat steps 5-8
11) Send the patched iBoot from 2.2.1:!iBoot221pwn.img3
Your homescreen should soon show up. You can then start iTunes.
You can download Redsn0w lite directly from the Dev Team here: